Italian Values 6-Pack
Move over Brunello – as much as we love you, you’re not a Monday night kind of wine. Here is a wonderful selection of Italian values that prove you don’t have to spend an arm and a leg for great Old World wine!
- Li Veli Fiano –Masseria Li Veli has always been a favorite of ours for their red wines, and their white wines are just as great! Fiano is a grape that is native to southern Italy and makes a great alternative to unoaked Chardonnay or Chenin Blanc. Aromas of pear, melon, and lemon lead into peach, honey, and hazelnut on the medium-bodied palate.
- La Jara Rose – Pinot Grigio doesn’t just make white wines – it can make orange and rose bottlings too! This pink Pinot Grigio is an unusual example from the northeastern corner of the country, where Italian winemaking styles converge with those of neighboring Slovenia and Croatia. This organic rose offers flavors of peach, apricot, and citrus notes that lead into a zesty, almond-driven finish.
- Cavaliere d’Oro Primitivo – If you love California Zinfandel, you won’t want to miss this Primitivo from southern Italy. Zinfandel and Primitivo are nearly identical grapes, offering many of the same dark fruit, vanilla, and dried herb notes. This one, a Puglian side-project by a famed Chianti producer, is medium-bodied with enticing cherry, plum, blackberry, and vanilla flavors.
- iLauri ‘Salto’ Sangiovese – You don’t have to pay Chianti Classico prices to get a good Sangiovese! This bottle from Abruzzo offers incredible value for the price. Classic flavors of cherry, berries, dried herbs, and spices are framed by a medium body and balanced tannins.
- Prodigo Nero d’Avola –A medium-bodied, plush Nero d’Avola that undergoes the appasimento process, a kind of drying out of the grapes that creates a richer, more luscious mouthfeel in the wine. This is a fantastic pairing with BBQ Bacon Burgers.
- Ciacci Piccolomini Super Tuscan – An entry-level Super Tuscan blend by a 100-point Brunello producer known for their classic expressions of Sangiovese. This Baby Brunello offers bright cherry, sultry tobacco, red plum, and leather flavors on the bold palate.
Tastes Like: Pear, Melon, Honey, Hazelnut
Tastes Like: Stone Fruit, Red Berries
Tastes Like: Ripe Cherries, Sweet Cocoa, Vanilla, Dried Herbs
Tastes Like: Cherry, Oregano, Tomato
Tastes Like: Black Plum, Prune, Vanilla, Tobacco, Earth
Tastes Like: Cherries, Tobacco, Spice